Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tempranillo - I don't taste no leather in that there wine...

"Tempranillo is a variety of black grape widely grown to make full-bodied red wines in its native Spain. It is the main grape used in Rioja, and is often referred to as Spain's "noble grape". Its name is the diminutive of the Spanish temprano ("early") a reference to the fact that it ripens several weeks earlier than most Spanish red grapes. In the last 100 years it has been planted in South America, USA, South Africa, Australia, and Canada.

Tempranillo wines can be consumed young, but the most expensive ones are aged for several years in oak barrels. The wines are ruby red in color, with aromas and flavors of berries, plum, tobacco, vanilla, leather and herb." (respectfully swiped from Wikipedia

I was first introduced to Tempranillo late last year. My first sip came from Torremoron Tempranillo Ribera del Duero 2006. It was smooth and although aged in Oak barrels, didnt seem to have a lot of that oaky taste I hate. Also, not a hint of leather in sight, or smell rather. I digress.

I did a little research and found this tempranillo that sounds more like a bad punch line to an even worse joke "El Pison Tempranillo Rioja 2006", and a big OUCH for that price.

If you are looking for something a little different, try a Tempranillo.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Muse, I had not heard of that one. I know we have had some red Spanish wines and they were all good. I will try it next time I get down to the liquor store.
    TWW

    ReplyDelete