Thursday, March 4, 2010

Un-oaked Chardonnay: The Chardonnay haters Chardonnay - by the Wine Muse



Okay all you Chardonnay haters, listen up! I know you. You sit down to dinner and the waiter asks you what type of wine you would like and you reply :”anything but chardonnay”. Heck, not only do I know you, I was you! That is, until I tried the delectable Startree Chardonnay (un-oaked). It was like a beautiful symphony on my tongue, no bitter after taste, light and even my amateur taste buds could detect several crisp and clean notes.

So, what is an un-oaked Chardonnay exactly? Well, typically, chardonnay is fermented, then aged in Oak barrels. That is what gives a traditional Chardonnay “that heavier bitter flavor” (at least for us Chardonnay haters) Un-oaked Chardonnay is fermented, then aged in stainless steel, old barrels or glass-lined containers. The Un-oaked Chardonnay has a straightforward, light, refreshing taste that appeals to even the most persnickety wine drinker.

To really get a feel for the difference, one should buy an un-oaked chardonnay and a traditional chardonnay and taste them side by side for comparison.

So check it out and let me know what you think!

Wine Muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment